Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Too Much!

You know what it's like to leave the office for a week, then come back and everything is crazy? That's how my life is this week! SO much stuff going on for work, and on top of that, my brother comes today to stay with us for awhile, wheat harvest is getting started-meaning there is lots of prep work to do, it's haying season, meaning the alarm goes off at about 3 am so Patrick can get up and bale several nights a week, it's fair week here, and the Olympics are on. Yes, they are a priority for me right now :) Oh, and my garden is starting to produce a lot of things at once, so I have to take care of that!

I'll try to stay focused on only one things...harvest. I really don't do that much for it, but try to help when I can. Last weekend (before I left for Nashville) I hopped into the back of a new grain truck, and had to paint the floor. The floor is made of wood, and the wheat doesn't slide out of it very easily. And when if the wheat gets stuck in the corners of the box, the can sit there and rot, which eats away at the wood and metal walls.

Here is the bed before....


Aaaaand halfway through I ran out of paint...so those are all the pictures I have of that.


Other prep work for harvest includes getting the combines out of the shop and inspected, getting all of the grain trucks ready, augers ready and in the right places to put the wheat into the bins, etc. MY part of harvest to get ready for is the grocery shopping! Patrick made a list yesterday of all of the snacks he wanted while he was sitting on the combine. When they start, they usually start at about 6 am or so, and don't come in until about 8 or 9 pm. You pack them a lunch with drinks, snacks and food, and usually have to make another run to the field to bring more food. Or they'll come back to the house in shifts for dinner and eat. It's my job to make sure he has the snacks and drinks that he wants. Since my brother will be here helping, I'll have to have twice the amount! Once he gets here today, I'll have him make me a grocery store list for the stuff he wants to snack on.

Meanwhile, the guys had been working on the water line to the houses and cows all week before I left for Nashville. There was a leak, so they had to dig down to the pipes and replace part of it.
 




 That's all I have for today friends! I have LOTS AND LOTS to share with all of you, but it just might take me a hot second to get it all done! Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. SO MUCH WORK. You guys are the epitome of hard workers. I really admire you all. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lace :) Our motto is "work hard, play harder!" Which I think you can attest to :)

      Delete
  2. Breathe in....breathe out...breathe in....

    That breathing exercise was for me. I got stressed out just reading this. Girl, you are BUSY!!! How do you do it all?!?!

    ReplyDelete