Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Be the Change: A Challenge

Lately I have been thinking a lot...which can be scary. Just ask my husband.

When it comes to the blog world, real life, marriage, relationships, etc. do we not all try to be the best person we can be? Certainly we don't try to be terrible people, but sometimes we mess up and make bad decisions. Whether it's being selfish when it comes to your relationship, not leading by example, or just plain being rude to someone, we all have to admit that we've done it.

The hard part is, how do we change this behavior? Lately, I have really been working on some things for myself. I have a tendency to gossip and judge other people too much. It's really not a great thing, and I hate that I do it. So how can I change? I'm trying to stop myself in the moment when I realize I'm doing it. If we don't want other people to do this, and if we want other people to treat us with respect, we must first show it.

Be the change. You only have control over YOU, so YOU need to do the changing. BE THE EXAMPLE.





This doesn't just apply to my situation and me. Be patient when you have to wait for 10 minutes at the deli counter at the grocery store even if there are 8 people working there and only one is doing something. Don't just step over the piece of garbage on the ground-pick it up. Open the door for someone. Make a habit of giving compliments. Be nice when you're dealing with a company's customer service department. Let someone cut in line in front of you if they look like they're in a hurry. Whether they appreciate it or not, you're leading by example and you did the right thing.

Be nice. Be thoughtful. Be empathetic. Be compassionate.

I challenge all of YOU to be the change. Set the example.


9 comments:

  1. Oh I love this post so very much! You are exactly right! I wish everyone could think like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Nicole!! We all have things we can work on. What I love so much about Ellen Degeneres, besides the fact that she's the funniest person on earth, is that she always ends her show telling everyone to be kind to each other. That is SO important, and something that is so simple that you'd think everyone would just be kind naturally. Not so, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is realling touching I love it and am vowing to make change

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and I agree with you 110%. For the last 5 years, I've made my personal goal to compliment or smile to at least 5 people a day. Some days it's hard for me when I would rather just be home under a blanket other times... someone always says... thank you that just made my day better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is excellent! I have been working on this the past year too and have found myself being a lot more patient and understanding of others.
    Thanks for the reminder to keep it up.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't agree with you more! I think everyone needs to live like this. It's challenging and fun and really makes you look at life differently! Power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looove this post. Trying to constantly be aware of your actions and how you are treating others is a total work in progress, and this was a great reminder. I find myself acting a little annoyed or snooty sometimes with people that are lollygagging or holding me up when I'm in a hurry, and when I realize it, I think, "Gosh, California has worn on me." But that shouldn't be an excuse at all. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post and a well needed reminder!! Nicole you are awesome! I will need to do better...be the change!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree! This is a VERY important message. I was in a hurry at the post office the other day and the lady in front of me was taking awhile. Luckily, before I could get upset the lady behind me started huffing and puffing. I was happy that I witnessed how disrespectful she seemed, so that I didn't act like that!

    ReplyDelete