Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Monday, October 29, 2012

Reasons Why Blogging is Like Online Dating

I've been thinking for awhile about this concept of Blogging and Online Dating, and how they are very much similar. Now, I can't say that I've ever dated online, but have several friends who do and have heard many stories about it. Here are 10 reasons why Bloggins is like Online Dating:

1. You read a little bit about someone's profile, and decide to "follow" them. In the dating world, this is like looking at people's profiles and deciding that you're interested in them.

2. You email the person several times. If there's no chemistry, then the connection fizzles. We'll just "be friends".


3. If the connection is there, then you continue emailing until one of you pulls the trigger. "Here's my number. Text me anytime!" But only texting...things aren't serious enough to call yet.

4. Now this is the turning point in the relationship...this is where it goes from online to "IRL" or, in real life. If you guys are in the same town, you decide to meet up.

5. If you're not in the same town, you decide that it's probably not going to work out anyways. Long distance is hard. You still email/text the person cause you just never know when you might be in the same town for a vacation or visit. The truly great people with connections will continue to email/text though. Sigh...one day...


5. In the same town and still not sure about meeting the person IRL? This is where the group date comes in. Bloggers will say, "Let's go to a blog meet up!" Online daters will say "let's go on a group date!" This happens for 2 reasons: 1-The other person still isn't sure that you're not an axe murderer. 2-If there's no chemistry IRL, then at least there's other people around to help take the pressure off.

6. Now, you're getting ready for your date/meet up. What to wear?!?! I'm getting nervous!! Should I wear makeup?? (Ha ha, Sarah Kate!) Wait...what if they really are an axe murderer??? Ok for reals, they're not...ok, freaking out again...what should I wear?!?! I need to look cute and trendy, but not like I'm trying too hard. Scarf! I'll wear a scarf! And boots! Or animal print? Must figure out how to create the sock bun...

7. Ok, now you're ready...to the meet up/group date we go! Stilllllll nervous. Call/text your other friend to let her know where you are, in case said person really is an axe murderer.

8. Meeting up...aaaaaand I can't find the place. CRAP. Now I HAVE to call them. Calling...."Hello?" OMG!! Their voice is NOT what I pictured in my head! "Hey this is so-and-so...I'm lost!" The other person is now thinking...OMG! That's totally not what I thought they would sound like!

9. Finally get to the meeting place and see them for the first time. You're thinking "They look exactly the same IRL!" You're getting closer....closer..."Do I hug? Are we gonna hug? Am I ok with this? Oooooohhhh, they're coming in for the hug...this is gonna be awkward. Ok, hugging, not so bad."

10. When the conversation starts, you talk about pretty much everything that you put on your blog/profile, and they out on theirs.

11. They start to tell you something, then realize that you already knew it. Then you both think, "Wow, I guess you already know pretty much everything about me! Thiiiiiis is kinda weird."


12. You're nervous to actually be yourself because you don't want the person to be horrified that you have the mouth of a sailor, or know that you have an obnoxiously loud laugh.


13. Proceed to either have the BEST time.....or not.One major difference between the two happens here...like the person or not, a blogger will take mass amounts of pics of the blogger meet up. If a person going on an online date did this, their date would probably run for the hills. Stage 5 clinger!

14. You part ways...if it went well, you'll continue to talk/text and plan future meet up dates. This time alone, since you figured out that indeed, this person is NOT an axe murderer.  If not, you'll make promises of seeing each other again, when neither of you really have intentions to do so. You'll continue to talk/text, meanwhile stalking the others' blog/profile to see if they've met someone new.

15. If you want to see the person again you proceed to tell everyone you know how great the adventure was. You plan future dates that you think the other person will enjoy, and try to mix things up every time. You document each of the experiences, making sure to share them via the world wide web.



So...what did you think? Am I right, or am I right?!!? Is there something I missed about the comparisons? I would love to hear your input on anything I missed!


7 comments:

  1. Ahahahahaha!! I'm seriously dying right now, Nicole!! SOOOO TRUE!!!! I've never online dated either, but I think you hit it dead on! :o) Stage 5 clinger!! LOL.

    If I had been on a date with you instead of a blogger date, I probably would have made sure to leave my kid at home, too. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Sometimes though I feel as if I'm just putting my profile out there and no one is interested...
    I guess in time things will change

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! That is too funny and true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate even when it just meeting a inlaw or someone else.
    That was 15 things???????????? Just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the same as when I am meeting someone new like a inlaw or outlaw for the first time. That was 15 things?????????? Just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously peed my pants. Thanks for that. Freaking hilarious!

    Halsey

    ReplyDelete