5 Foods:
This one will probably be one of my favorites of this challenge, cause, well, who doesn't love food? If you think about it, whenever families, friends, acquaintances get together, it's usually over food. What is something that is always part of family traditions? Food! The recipes/stories I'm sharing today are all from the farm.
1) Tacos. This is a Hackley family tradition. They're not fancy tacos or anything, but whenever somebody makes tacos, it's a whole family affair. I'm talking moms, dads, grandma, grandpa, cousins, aunts, uncles, you name it. We use homemade flour tortillas and corn tortillas. We just use regular taco meat and include cheese, refried beans, lettuce, tomato, salsa, olives and green chiles as toppings. So delish! It's practically a huge production and event for the family.
2) Potato Soup. I would share the recipe with you, but this is grandma's recipe that I don't know yet. We usually only have potato soup twice a year. It's on the days where we butcher beef. We butcher all morning and are usually not done by lunch time, so we take a break mid-day. Lunch includes potato soup, and saltine crackers that you put butter and jam on.
3) Wilted lettuce. This is DELISH! We have been eating it A LOT right now since I have so much lettuce in my garden. You wash and rip apart a head of green leaf lettuce. Dice up half a package of bacon and fry until crispy. Take the bacon out of the grease and set aside. To the bacon grease in the pan, add 2 Tbsp of red wine vinegar, about 2 tsp. of sugar, 1 Tbsp of lemon juice and salt and pepper. Bring to a slow boil and boil for about 2 minutes. Pour the hot mixture over the lettuce and add the bacon. Toss and eat right away! Note: Don't add the dressing until RIGHT before you're going to eat the salad, and this salad is NOT good for leftovers.
4) Grandma's ginger cookies. They're like a gift sent from heaven above. I don't have the recipe for this one either!
5) Pork choooooooops and applesauce! Whenever MIL makes pork chops she serves applesauce with them. For some odd reason, her and hubs always get this funny voice when they say, "Pork chooooooops and applesaaaaaauce!" I know you can't quite understand it over the computer, but I'm sitting here laughing in my chair as I type :)
These things are all very special and bring a smile to my face and hunger pang to my tummy when I think about them. It's amazing how food can bring families and friends together to create memories :) I would LOVE to hear some of your guys' recipes/food/stories...please share!




Smothered burritos and fish tacos! D-lish!
ReplyDeleteI have a Granny who won't give her recipes out either! =[ The lettuce thing sounds way yummy!
ReplyDelete