So today we're starting with 10 secrets of Ye Old Farm Wife (that's me):
1) Nothing works better than Spray n' Wash to get cow shit out of jeans. During calving season, I literally go through half a bottle of Spray n' Wash ever time I do a load of jeans. Normally I put jeans on the cold cycle, but that doesn't work with poo-covered jeans. You have to Spray n' Wash the shit out of them, then run them on the hot cycle. Works every time!
2) When you drive a truck to a field for the worker to drive home in after they get off the tractor, you have to point the cab the opposite direction the sun will be facing when they are done in the field. That way, when they get in, the cab is cooler since it hasn't been sitting in the sun all afternoon.
3) Even if you think you know EXACTLY what it is that you're supposed to be picking up at the Grain Elevator/Farm Supply Store, you will NEVER be able to just simply pick it up. The people start asking all these questions you never know the answer to and you leave feeling like you've just been defeated. You have been defeated. It's fine. Go home and drink a bottle of wine.
4) ALWAYS make sure the gas tank is full on ANY vehicle you drive. Just cause the gauge says it's full, doesn't mean it actually is. Trust me, on a 10,000 acre farm, you don't want to learn the hard way.
5) Roll up all vehicle windows at night. You never know when a storm will randomly show up in the middle of the night!
6) Make sure you know exactly where it is you're going when you move cows. The guys definitely frown upon it when you open the wrong gate for the cows to go through. Whoopsie! he he he
7) DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT believe any farmer when they tell you, "It'll only take 10 minutes." It never only takes 10 minutes. This is their clever way to trick you into helping for hours on end, doing whatever they can while they have the help. I have fallen for this MANY times.
8) Be ready to run out the door at any point in time, including the middle of the night, to run after cows. I've found that if I can hear them mooing from our house, they got out of their pastures. Those things are like ninjas, I swear.
9) Get all the sleep you can, while you can. During haying and haying season and harvest, there are rarely nights where you get more than 3-4 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
10) Carry bug spray wherever you go.




I loved reading this!! Oh I miss the farm! AND YOU!
ReplyDeleteBwahahahaha! This is hilarious!!! I love your farm spin on this thing!!! You're so dang creative! :o)
ReplyDeleteToo funny! Farm life sounds amazing ;) I'm sure it has it's good things too!
ReplyDeleteI am stealing this challenge!!!
ReplyDelete