What I do, is shuck all of the ears of corn. ( I feed all of the husks to the ponies-they love it!)
I then boil all of the ears for about 5 minutes.
Then I take it out of the boiling water to cool down before I start the next process of cutting.
When the corn cob is cool, I set it in a deep bowl and cut the kernels off with a knife. I get as close to the cob as I can, as this is where all the juices that keep the corn moist are. (Note: I would recommend using one hand to hold the cob and one to hold the knife...I do not recommend taking lots of pictures while doing this part of the process :) ) Also, you can see that I've lain a giant towel beneath the bowl and cutting board. This is because when the corn juice starts flying, it gets everywhere. This makes cleanup a lot quicker!
After you've cut all the corn off of the cobs, you're left with a giant bowl full of the yummyness:
Then I scoop it into quart-size freezer bags, a put them in the freezer!
In all, 8 dozen ears of corn made 32 bags. I put about 2 cups in each bag. So throughout the year when we want to eat corn with a meal, I grab one of these puppies out of the freezer, thaw it, and cook it up on the stove with some salt and pepper. Once you have it this way, you'll never want to eat canned corn again! It takes a little bit of time to do, but 8 dozen ears took me about 3 hours to do. It's worth it knowing your food was grown locally and it's fresh! Oh by the way....it tastes SO good! Try it!




I love this idea!
ReplyDeleteWoah! You're set for life! Haha.
ReplyDeleteKatie, it's actually SO good, we go through this much every year! I do this every summer. Plus, when we have big family get togethers, I can pull several bags out of the freezer and voila! One less thing to buy at the store :)
ReplyDelete