Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Friday, March 22, 2013

Farmer Fail

Part of the reason for me blogging, is to help promote agriculture. To let people know, and shout from the rooftop: "AGRICULTURE! Because starvation sucks!!!"

Well, in case you didn't know, Tusesday was National Agriculture Appreciation Day. Aaaaaaand I missed it. Whoops.


My fellow farm and ranch wife Val did this last week, so I thought I'd do the same.  I'll give you a breakdown of what our days look like, as a farmer. So when he's got a full day of work, this is what Patrick's day has been like the past several weeks. It's different during seeding, haying and harvest, but this is what spring-ish time looks like:

5am: Wake up, shower.
5:30am: Out the door, running to town, deposit at the bank, eat breakfast at the Diner
6:45am: Back on the farm, feed cows, lay down straw, check their water, etc.
8am: In his semi, driving to someone else's farm to haul grain to the elevator.
9am: Made it to the grain bins, start loading grain.
10am: Grain is loaded, drive to the elevator to drop it off
11am: Unload at the elevator
11:30am: Back to the farm
12:00pm: Repeat loading grain.
3:00pm: Last load of grain is hauled, now to run errands: Drive to a different grain elevator 30 miles away to pick up something. Stop at Napa and get new windshield wipers for semi. Stop at insurance agent's office to sign some paperwork. Meanwhile, call the banker on the phone, get an estimate for the garage on your house, etc.
5:30pm: Back on the farm. Visit with dad and grandpa about farm stuff.
6:30pm: Back at home, only to find that your wife has been too lazy to make dinner. Again. Ugh.
7:00pm: Finally eating something, watching ESPN.
7:30pm: On the computer, looking at machines, doing farm paperwork, keeping the farm books etc.
9:30pm: Get in bed, watch ESPN and pass out.

Wake up and do it all again!

This is just what a day looks like this time of year. It varies, of course. And some days in the winter when it's really yucky outside, all we do is feed cows and call it a day. You don't want to be out on the roads in a semi when they're icy. That=Disaster.

So just remember every time you eat something, the clothes on your back, the house you live in, almost everything you do comes back to agriculture. SO THANK A FARMER!!! Or sleep with one, that's what I do ;)

4 comments:

  1. Farmers are the hardest working people I know! They also sacrifice so much for us to be able to have what they provide! THANKS FARMER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for national agriculture day!

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, my husband is a dairy farmer and I totally missed the day too! I love this post though, and that last line is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Kimberly - I love the last line!

    ReplyDelete