Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Life Lately

I thought I'd just do a little blog post today to let you guys know what we've been doing in our every day lives the past couple weeks.


...our cow babies are due the end of this month, so we've been getting prepped for them. Had to separate the first-year calvers from the rest of the herd in case the have trouble during labor. I'll be doing up the ear tags for them soon, and we're prepping all of the corrals in case we have to put a few in the barn.


...we're also going to a Bull sale on Friday, to hopefully buy a new Red Angus bull for our herd. Bull auctions are one of my FAVORITE things about ranching, so I'm really excited!

...we attend the Assembly of God church, and a couple weeks ago the Youth Pastor stood up in front of everyone and asked for help with the youth group. During the middle of service, Patrick leaned over and said he wanted to help. I figure if God was putting it in his heart to help, who am I to get in the way? So, we've been starting to get acquainted with that. Should be interesting!

...our dogs....oh boy. Harley is a special dog. He's overweight, and he likes to act like he's starving and we never feed him. Last Saturday he jumped up on our kitchen counter and ate a whole bag of those individually wrapped chocolates, wrappers and all. Of course we get home and see the evidence. Lucky (?) for us, he's done this before so we knew what to do. I fed him several tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, which helps them throw up. Well, it didn't do anything for him, and he was totally fine. Fast forward to yesterday morning. Patrick and I went to feed cows. Come home after an hour and Harley again had jumped up on the counter, and ate a half loaf of bread, a slice of pumpkin bread, and a dozen chocolate chip cookies. And we didn't leave them out on the counter-they were inside a bread box! I swear you would think this dog was malnourished by the way he acts! We get him dewormed every year too, so I don't know what his problem is.

...Patrick's grain hauling is going well, and he's been hauling grain for a couple different farmers. Here's a fun fact: Roughly 80% of Montana wheat is exported to Asia, with the top countries being Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Philippines, Indonesia and Belgium.

...We support the local Boys & Girls Club quite a bit, so we are looking forward to going to their annual Sports Auction, which helps raise money for them. Last year we raised over $40,000 in about 3 hours for them!

So that's about it! Nothing life-changing or too exciting, just our everyday lives!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

7 comments:

  1. I love reading about your everyday life! You guys are always doing something fun.

    So I guess Harley proves all the "experts" wrong that chocolate will kill a dog. You guys are the only people I know that need a lock on their bread box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to work with the Youth! I feel like that is my calling too! I'm just afraid I'm not good enough. I hate to say I feel that way! Glad Harley is okay, he is probably just be mischevious! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...your dog seems to be going crazy! I hope that you get it all figured out soon. I guess he's pretty smart if he can get in the bread box. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have plenty going on! Everyday life can be very rewarding.
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool that your husband felt that calling to work with the youth, I'm sure there will be some life changing moments when taking on that endeavor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have a busy few weeks coming up!! i know absolutely nothing about cows, the birthing process or farming. thanks for sharing all this information, i had no idea about montana and the 80%

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds busy, but great!! I love calving season, and girl, I feel the same way as you about a bull sale! Have fun!

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete