Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Thursday, January 5, 2012

How I Spent My New Year's Day

New Year's Eve was pretty low-key for us...we went to my in-laws and hung out with my MIL and cousin who's 16. He and Hubs went out shooting coyotes for a little while, while my MIL and I played Wii. We all just hung out, ate some yummy food and had a glass of champagne when the ball dropped (Well, cousin had a Pepsi or something).

New Year's Day Hubs and I took care of the cows. You'll learn this by living on a farm: You always want the middle seat, because when you're in the passenger seat, you have to get out and open gates. Well, in the tractor there are only 2 seats, which means I have to get out and open gates. I can only open some of them, which have the special openers on them. The tougher ones Hubs comes down and helps me :) It's nice of him, because I would really struggle for awhile if he didn't :)

Here we are, all bundled up and ready to go! Notice the scarf around my neck? It's from my Aunt Lisa! She always crochets something good for me as a Christmas gift each year!


The cows are following us because they know we're going to feed them:



Here we are with the bale, ready to drop it on the ground and roll it out. Hubs is always VERY patient with me when doing chores, because he knows we have to stop and take pictures. Now, he's even saying, "Hold on, get a picture of this!" :)


This is our bull (read: a male with balls, to be used for reproducing) Vick:


After we roll out the hay, the cows go to town eating it up. Then, we have to go into the pen where the calves are and feed them ground oats. I convinced Hubs to take the pics while I fed. And don't worry, I'm still being fashionable-I have on my Coach sunglasses!



Three years ago, I would have had an anxiety attack, and peed my pants on the spot, being so close to these cows. But now, they're not so bad :)


You guys remember our cow Justin Beefer??? Well, her baby was the only female we kept, so I named her Selena! This little black cow in front is Selena. Isn't she cute???



Well, that's what we do when we feed the cows! It's really the only winter chore we have, and it's not so bad, especially when the weather is nice. I'll be back tomorrow, and I have some GREAT posts coming for next week!

3 comments:

  1. That's very exciting! I see you have tennis shoes on though...nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the cow names!! Look at you go girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow...what a great way to spend the new year!

    ReplyDelete