Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Monday, August 20, 2012

10 Commandments for the Farmer's Wife




I saw this last week on Val's blog, and thought I would share it! I had to tweak it a bit to fit my needs, but it's pretty much the same idea!


Val is a fellow farm wife, and just...well...understands! When I read these, I literally burst out laughing because of how TRUE they are!

 10 Commandments for the Farmer's Wife
  1.  Thou shall not sort cattle with your hands in your pockets; husbands don’t like it.
  2. Thou shall serve meals which can be served 30 minutes early or 2 hours late.
  3. Thou shall learn to keep farm records. 
  4. Thou shall love the smell of new mown hay, fresh plowed earth, fresh-cut alfalfa and cow manure.
  5. Thou shall be inspired to see the sun rise and relieved to see it set, even if the sink is full of dirty dishes.
  6. Thou shall learn to open gates, close gates and guard gates.
  7. Thou shall thrill at the sight of the bright new tractor and the birth of a new calf.
  8. Thou shalt live closely to God with a true faith that exceeds that of those who don't know what it's like to live on a farm.
  9. Thou shall cherish meals together, even though the smell of the farmer may be stronger than the food on the table.
  10. Thou shall be exultant at the touch of a brotherly hand on your shoulder, the tender kiss on your forehead and those precious words, “thanks for your help!”
 
  Some things might seem silly to other people, but when you're a farm wife you just have to do these things!


-You learn that when parking a pickup in a field, you point the cab of the pickup away from where the sun will be setting, so it's cooler in the evening when your farmer has to drive home from the field.


-You know that the first rain comes 90 days after the first fog in the fall/winter
-You always keep an extra gallon of milk in the fridge, because you never know when you'll have to feed a crew of workers.
-You don't yell when you're around cows.
-You don't complain when your farmer asks for your help. You just DO IT.





I could really go ON AND ON, but I'll spare you :)



Are you a farm wife? What are your commandments?











 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a farmer's wife, but I can appreciate these! I lived on a farm all my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im loving this I need to print and frame it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 9 is funny!!! And so true!!! Except I'm normally the smelly one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Nicole! I've got to send it to my mom--she'll totally agree with all of them! :)

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a farm cousin, my rule is to do what the hell I'm told when on the farm land!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I'm glad you tweaked them and made them your own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are too funny! I know they are pretty cut and dry, but at the same time, I think they can apply to all of us with a few tweaks!

    ReplyDelete