Ok, so it's been AWHILE since I read this book, but was just waiting for a chance to share about it.
So...Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. What do I think? AMAZING. WONDERFUL. AWESOME. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
Here's the description:
The new Abby Abernathy is
a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate
percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough
distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives
at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly
challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.
Travis
Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby
needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a
floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus
charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her
into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain
abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s
apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea
that he has met his match.
OKAY HERE GOES....
I loved the book. I also read a lot of the negative reviews, and agreed with some of their comments about how dysfunctional their relationship is. Yes, it is highly dysfunctional. Travis is highly violent and aggressive and has some severe issues. A lot of people say it set back the feminist movement, it promotes stalking, portrays violence towards women, abusive relationships, etc. If you're sensitive towards these things, I would not recommend it.
To them, I say, "Calm down." It's a book...don't take it so seriously. If you don't like it, don't read it! The first review on GoodReads is about a year long. She talks about how this book has too much violence and how this book is disturbing, yet in their review says, "Give me a gun please" and "can I kill the hero?" Wow...hypocritical much?
Back to my review and why I LOVED it:
When I was in college, I looooooved me a good bad boy. Like, motorcycle-riding, backwards-hat wearing, playing hard to get guy. I had a boyfriend who was soooo bad for me, but SO much fun and had all of these things. A big old jacked up pickup, a fast crotch rocket, his own house, and all the money to shower upon me. Travis Maddox, reminded me of this boyfriend. He was toxic, but he was so much fun and hard to stay away from. Maybe that's why I liked it so much.
The reason I loved this book was because it took me back to a carefree time in college where I had a lot of freedom, loved dating, and the sense of adventure that came with everything. Life was up, down, and all over the place. You had best friends, you had crappy roommates, you had your favorite hangout spots-this book tied all of that in together. This book took me back to that fun place, which is what drew me to it so much. I'll definitely read it again, and I don't say that about a lot of books! Several of my friends read it and also loved it.
P.S. if you disagree with me, that's fine and I appreciate your point of view. Just please don't attack mine :)
Have you read this book? What did you think? For all of you Beautiful Disaster lovers, Jamie McGuire has Travis' Point of View book called coming out in April of 2013, and is available for pre-order right now!





Agreed! I love love love this book! I've now read it twice. Thanks for the suggestion
ReplyDeleteHello!!!! I L to the O to the V to the E this book! Soo good! I started it again last night for the 3rd time! Soo good and I can't wait for Walking Disaster to come out!
ReplyDeleteI've not read this book, but thank you for sharing!! I'm so bad at actually finishing books these days...
ReplyDeleteI have not read this book but I'm going to put it on my list. I love it when you do book reviews!
ReplyDelete